1. Happiness that comes from the outside only lasts a little while.
2. The more I have, the more I fear losing what I have.
3. Don’t overcook scrambled eggs.
4. All the lyrics to all the songs in The Sound of Music. And I’m finally okay admitting that to the world.
5. Everything decays.
6. Naps are a gift from God.
7. I am no smarter than my parents.
8. I am no smarter than my kids.
9. Pain usually makes me better or worse but rarely leaves me unchanged.
10. The best thing in life is a really good conversation.
11. People are prettier when they smile and stand up straight.
12. What I eat affects my feelings more than just about anything.
13. Getting past my upbringing is only half of my journey toward maturity; coming back to it on friendly terms is the other.
14. It’s hard emotionally to lose your hair.
15. There are always new things to learn.
16. Writing brings my crazy thoughts together and marches them in a straight line.
17. Eating french fries in the car makes my car smell like french fries for four days.
18. Multitasking makes me feel crazy in the head.
19. Most people who have hurt me didn’t do it on purpose.
20. Dogs have hilarious ears.
21. Nothing is as big a deal as I thought it was when I was 25.
22. Life is always a little painful, a little scary, and a little unsatisfying.
23. I will never be a professional athlete or musician or astronaut. Sorry, eleven-year-old me.
24. No matter how much I try to change myself I usually end up back where I was pretty much, but a little wiser for trying.
25. I don’t have to follow my feelings.
26. When I hurt people it’s usually because I’m feeling unhappy myself.
27. I get more respect because I’m tall.
28. Junk food is less tempting the older I get.
29. I often get to choose how I feel.
30. I always get to choose how I respond.
31. Death scares me less the closer I get to it.
32. New experiences make me uncomfortable at first, then happy in the end.
33. I’m at my best when I’m honest with myself about my deepest motivations.
34. I don’t like the Grateful Dead, Eddie Vedder, or Prince. But I’ve learned not to say these things out loud, because people come unfastened when I do.
35. Whenever I’m feeling bad, the thing I think is making me feel bad is usually not the thing that’s really making me feel bad.
36. Shopping makes me more tired than anything in the world.
37. Before people lie to you, they usually lie to themselves first.
38. There is no sound on earth happier than my ten year old boy giggling, especially when I caused it.
39. Radical liberals and radical conservatives are basically the same type of people.
40. When I feel insulted I become a horrible listener.
41. As a white male living in 21st century America, I need to think long and hard before I complain about anything in my life, ever.
42. When I make a habit of being critical, I see the world as critical of me. When I make a habit of lying, I think everyone’s lying to me. When I feel incompetent, everyone around me seems incompetent too. But when I manage to be encouraging, optimistic, giving, and loving, suddenly the world looks that way too. It’s weird, and it sounds trite, but it’s so true. I create my own reality.
43. My kids often forget the things I wish they’d remember, and remember the things I wish they’d forget.
44. Every close friendship gets difficult once in a while. But it’s so worth it.
45. Getting old is way, way better than I was led to believe.